Special Educational Needs (SEN) Parent Advisors in Gloucestershire.
A Special Educational Needs advisory service is offered by the Owl Centre in Gloucestershire
The Special Educational Needs Parent Advisors at The Owl Centre in Gloucestershire combine expertise and experience with a friendly and sympathetic approach to the children and parents they see. They also have links with the NHS to ensure a seamless continuity for clients who have received NHS assessments or therapy.
Louise Stewart - BA (Nottingham Trent University), PGCE (Oxford Brookes University).
Louise worked as a primary school teacher in mainstream schools before becoming an SEN Inclusion Teacher for Oxfordshire County Council. During her time as a teacher she was passionate about supporting children who needed extra and above what the other children in the class required. She worked closely with visiting Speech therapists, occupational therapists and Autism specialists as well as working closely with families to help them through the school processes in order to get the right support.
Louise’s role as an SEN Inclusion Teacher for the Local Authority involved advising schools, nurseries, children’s centres and families on assessing children’s needs, recommending learning targets, devising programmes of study and applying for funding. Louise is up to date on the current SEN code of practice, creating SEN support plans, Education Health Care Plan (statement) applications and Top–Up/Additional Funding applications for schools. She currently works in the Sensory Support Service for Bristol City Council as a Vision Impairment Teacher.
Louise has worked with a wide range of children with a range of needs including developmental delay, speech delay, Downs Syndrome, Autism, Complex Needs, Cerebral Palsy and also children with social and emotional needs. She has also run training on Positive Behaviour Strategies, Autism, New SENCo Training, Using Visual Supports for Communication and Interactions, and Practical Strategies for Communication and Interaction.
Louise believes in empowering families through working together on practical strategies, listening to their needs and aspirations, liaising with all therapists and teachers involved and being a voice for the child and family when support is needed.
Louise can offer:
- A developmental assessment using the Developmental Journal and EYFS materials – including working with the family to help them use these resources at home.
- Unpicking any problems a child may have with early developmental milestones.
- Advising next steps and creating an SEN support plan with the family and if required supporting the school or nursery with this.
- Writing a comprehensive report giving recommendations for future action.
- Liaising with schools/parents to suggest suitable activities that can be carried out by a teacher or teaching assistant.
- Support to settings and schools with funding applications.
- Support to settings, schools and families with Education Health Care Plan applications.
- Attending SEN Support meetings and Annual Reviews if required.
- Liaising with other professionals who may be working with the child.
- Working on specific difficulties highlighted from the assessment.
- Bespoke training for schools and settings.
Louise has a wide variety of interests including also being a Holistic Therapist, painting and animals – she currently has two lively kittens keeping her and her partner company!
Louise can travel to the following places, amongst others:
- Bristol (and surrounding areas)
- Weston Super-Mare
Profiles of the other Owl Centre therapists to follow soon.
Please click here to find more information about the Special Educational Needs advisory services provided by our Parent Advisors in Gloucestershire.
You can fill in our booking form by clicking here or if you require the help of our children's SEN Parent Advisors, don't hesitate to CONTACT US. Louise is able to provide face-to-face meetings in Gloucestershire and sometimes further afield, and over-the-phone consultations throughout the UK.