Autism Specialist and Family Support Consultant in Hampshire
The Owl Centre is happy to add Autism Specialists and Family Support Consultants to their team in Hampshire, providing a friendly and sympathetic solutions-focused approach to the children and parents they see.
Philippa Anne Pettitt - BSc (Hons). PGCE. Ad Dip: Leadership and Management Early Years. Certificate in counselling skills.
Full name: Philippa Anne Pettitt
Known as: Philippa (NEVER Pippa!)
Type of therapist: Autism Spectrum
Qualifications: BSc (Hons). PGCE. Ad Dip: Leadership and Management Early Years. Certificate in counselling skills
Year of qualifying: 1983
- 1980 – 1985: Working with adults with learning difficulties – hospital/Adult Training Centre.
- 1985 – 1986: Probation year at school for children with moderate learning difficulties. London.
- 1987 -1990: Teacher in Charge adult Education programme for adults with learning difficulties. London.
- 1990 – 1992: Teacher children with learning difficulties. Portsmouth.
- 1992 – 2003: Teacher special needs nursery. Portsmouth.
- 2003 – 2006: Advisory role for children with autism. Portsmouth.
- 2006 – 2017: Teacher in Charge, Autism Provision attached in mainstream primary School. Portsmouth.
I have worked with children and young adults with autism over many years. For ten years I managed a specialist autism provision in Portsmouth. I believe in a child centred approach, building a close and respectful relationship with every child and working closely with the family. This includes a positive, child centred approach to any challenging behaviour the child may show – all behaviour is a communication which we need to understand. I use an holistic, integrative approach bringing together a range of strategies to build an individual programme for each child: TEACCH, PECS, Intensive Interaction, Special Time, Attention Autism, Social Stories, Visual approaches, Sensory integration strategies are some of the approaches I use. I will work with the child’s strengths and interests to engage them and help them learn in the best possible way. I use a multi-disciplinary approach working closely with all involved professionals.
I have delivered training on understanding autism, specialist approaches to working with children with autism and on child centred positive behaviour management both in this country and abroad.
I enjoy hula hooping, walking my dog and digging the allotment – keeps me fit! I like reading, travel, Cornwall and doing cryptic crosswords with a good cup of coffee!
Please click here to find out more information about our Autism and Family Support Consultants in Hampshire.