This discipline can help to assess and treat:
- Shy, withdrawn, or clingy behaviour.
- Acting-out, angry or disruptive behaviour.
- Defiant, oppositional or controlling behaviour.
- Behavioural problems at school or with peers.
- Attention Deficit Disorder or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.
- A history of trauma, abuse, or neglect.
- Attachment disorder due to adoption or multiple changes in living arrangements.
- A history of social deprivation and poverty.
In treatment, the Theraplay® practitioner guides the parent and child through playful, fun games, developmentally challenging activities, and tender, nurturing activities. The very act of engaging each other in this way helps the parent regulate the child’s behavior and communicate love, joy, and safety to the child. It helps the child feel secure, cared for, connected and worthy.
Sessions consist of games and activities that provide the child with experiences of each of these 4 essential qualities and over time these experiences help to change the child’s view of themselves, others and the world.
Number of sessions
For birth families, the total number of Theraplay sessions is 8-28, with an option of four follow-up sessions over the next year. This varies according to the need and history of the child.
For families created through foster care or adoption, they are likely to have children who have experienced separation, loss, trauma, multiple caregivers or institutional care and, therefore, typically need more help than the standard amount of Theraplay sessions described above. Our assessment process may lead to a recommendation of more sessions, longer sessions or more frequent sessions.
Fees in your area can be seen via this link:
Please note that we do not offer all disciplines in all locations, and in some areas we offer outreach visits only.